Listen here

8 Oct 2012

I Say Mikey's Tropicana Birthday Bash!!! feat. MOON BOOTS



On Saturday, I traveled to Warsaw from Wroclaw for 7 hours with a TLK train for 61zl = 16€. When I finally arrived there the warm, bright and sunny day had changed to a dark wet night.

The first hour in Warsaw I spent to locating myself and the direction I was going. The right direction was, of course, Klub 55, where Moon Boots was going to play. The name of the event: 'ŁOWCY: I Say Mikey's Tropicana Birthday Bash!!! feat. MOON BOOTS (French Express / USA)' . My name would be contrary to all logic on the guest list.

I had to ask a couple of times before I found Klub 55. Club faces the street with only one door, so the place was very hard to find.

I went out to the rain to search for ATMs because Klub 55 prices would be higher than in the basic clubs. When it started pouring rain I went from a door to the right and noticed a tiny max. 10 square meters and a 10-seat bar. Soccer Bar. In the corner a TV, which showed some game. TV was decorated with a local football club scarf.

I immediately noticed two women of my age at the corner at the table, and then four evil looking Polish guys at the bar. The place was, however, my only option to get shelter of the pouring rain. Despite the looks of the guys and girls I headed to the counter and chose a Polish-Warka beer. Five zlotys. I was positively surprised. I started to sip my Warka.

Then I noticed that all the others had the same number of bright shots in front of their nose. Three. After some glances to the corner table I found a note on the wall. Zlycki 3 pcs 5 zlotys. I ordered. I enjoyed my drink in peace, and because I wanted to stay alive and experience Moon Boots gig I decided to stop glancing at the girls in the corner table.

From the Soccer Bar I headed to a wine bar Zurawina where I drank an 'über' expensive 12 zl Zywiec. The bathroom was convenient with towels. Hair and face into shape. Even brushed my teeth.

I wanted to get something to eat before going to the club and I found a cool dining restaurant next to Klub 55. Here I use the word canteen restaurant, because the place was more like a canteen than a restaurant with an open kitchen, etc. I ordered a beer and goulash the price of 7 € = 28zl, and I thanked the owner, an extremely hipster-looking guy and shaked hands. I said to him that the place reminds me of the Helsinki ...

Now I'm sitting on the couch Klub 55, listening to songs of my scene, writing all of this 'dry' and well fed. Before Moon Boots some local DJs were playing great sets. Dudekk , Jedynak & Ment XXL , Kovvalsky , Kajko and AM Radio + Sound Rebellion . They were all the event organizers Michał's friends.

After some time sitting there and listening to familiar nu disco beats I noticed Michał and went to thank him for putting me on the list. More than two-meter wiry and chatty guy in a wifebeater, which proudly displayed WASTED in the chest. In capital letters. The man, however, was in a good oxygen and immediately introduced me to Pete. Pete from Chicago. Harri from Finland. The only guy from Finland in here. I'm the only guy from Chicago here. After a while with Michał, and Pete and a pair of free Jägermaister shots I realized that Pete is Moon Boots. The only guy from Chicago. Of course. However, I still had to ask the guy himself just to be sure. Yeah I know I'm an idiot. I also thanked him for his wonderful music. The day of gratitude did not end there, because I got to enjoy the Moon Boots gig with some very sexy company.

After the gig I found myself from couple of bars and tried to move towards a hostel 700m away from the club. Even though I had checked the place in advance it was an impossible task to do in those circumstances. Large, dark, cold and dreary city did not attract me to stay in Warsaw either. Six o'clock at night I gave up the search for the hostel and decided to go to the train station.

The first train back to Wroclaw, at 9:40 am. I bought the tickets.

Warsaw's streets are raw, of course, but the wealth is found between them. On Sunday, back at home in Wroclaw I noticed Michał advertising a radio program of Roxy-radio channel . I liked the ad on Facebook and I just listened to the show of familiar songs. Suddenly, Michał mentions my name on the live show. From the Polish language I understand that Harri from Finland is listening or something. After all this, even my name got to the Polish radio. Awesome. At that moment, I really felt like belonging to nu disco scene. In Poland.

- Harri

Check out some pictures of the event here

FIN:

Lauantaina matkustin 7tuntia Wroclawista TLK-junalla 61zl = 16€ Varsovaan. Kun viimein saavuin perille oli lämmin, valoisa ja aurinkoinen päivä muuttunut pimeän kosteaksi illaksi.

Ensimmäinen tunti Varsovassa meni itseni paikantamiseen ja oikean suunnan etsimiseen. Oikea suunta oli tietenkin Klub 55, jossa Moon Boots esiintyisi. Tapahtuman nimi: ŁOWCY: I Say Mikey's Tropicana Birthday Bash!!! feat. MOON BOOTS (French Express / USA). Nimeni olisi kaiken järjen vastaisesti vieraslistalla.

Sanonta kysyvä ei tieltä eksy, pitää paikkansa. Täytyi kysyä pari kertaa ennen kuin Klub 55 löytyi. Klubista näkyy kadulle vain yksi ovi, joten paikka oli erittäin hankala löytää.

Lähdin ulos... sateeseen etsimään pankkiautomaattia, koska Klub 55 hinnat olisivat oletettavasti kalliimmat kuin perusklubeilla. Sateen yltyessä kaatosateeksi menin jostain ovesta oikealle ja huomasin tulleeni pikkuruiseen max. 10 neliön ja 10 asiakaspaikan baariin. Jalkapallobaari. Nurkassa tv, josta näkyi peli. Tv:tä koristi, jonkin paikallisen jalkapalloseuran huivi.

Huomasin heti kaksi ikäistäni naista nurkkapöydässä ja heidän jälkeen neljä kuumottavaa polakkimiestä baaritiskillä. Paikka oli kuitenkin ainoa vaihtoehtoni yltyneessä sateessa. Naisten himoitsevista ja kuumottavien polakkiäijien katseista huolimatta suuntasin tiskille ja valitsin puolalaise Warka-oluen. Viisi zlotya. Yllätyin positiivisesti. Istuin märkänä, mutta tyytyväisenä ainoaan ulko-oven vieressä olevaan vapaaseen pöytään ja aloin siemailla Warkaani.

Sitten huomasin, että kaikilla muilla oli sama määrä kirkkaita shotteja nenänsä edessä. Kolme. Vilkuiltuani pari kertaa nurkkapöydän tyttöjä, jotka vilkuilivat minua, huomasin lapun baarin joka seinällä. Zlycki 3kpl 5zlotya. Tilasin. Nautin juomani rauhassa ja koska halusin selvitä Moon Bootsin keikalle hengissä päätin olla vilkuilematta tyttöjä enempää.

Shottibaarista suuntasin viinibaari Zurawinaan jossa join überkalliin 12zl:n Zywiecin. Vessassa oli kätevästi pyyhkeet eikä miesasiakkaita ollut baarissa lisäkseni kuin yksi. Tukka ja naama kuosiin. Hampaatkin pesin.

Halusin vielä syödä jotain ennen klubille menoa ja löysin Klub 55:n vierestä erittäin coolin ruokalaravintolan. Tässä käytän sanaa ruokalaravintola, koska paikka oli enemmänkin ruokala kuin ravintola avokeittiöineen jne. Tilasin kaljan ja gulassin yhteishintaan 7€ = 28zl sekä kiitin erittäin hipsterin näköistä omistajaa. Sanoin, että paikka muistuttaa minua Helsingistä...

Nyt istun Klub 55 sohvalla, kuunnellen oman skeneni biisejä, kirjoittamassa tätä kaikkea 'kuivana' ja ravittuna. Moon Bootsia ennen soittaa Ilmeisesti paikallisia dj:tä. Kaikki tapahtuman järjestäjän Michałin kavereita.

Aikani istuskeltuani ja itsellänikin soitossa olleita biisejä kuunneltuani näin tapahtuman järjestäjän Michałin. Yli kaksimetrinen jäntevä ja leppoisa kaveri wifebeaterissa, jonka etumuksessa komeili WASTED. In capital letters. Mies oli kuitenkin hyvässä hapessa ja esitteli minut heti Petelle. Pete from Chicago. Harri from Finland. The only guy from Finland in here. I'm the only guy from Chicago here. Hetken Michałin ja Peten kanssa hengailtuani ja pari ilmaista Jägermaistershottia juotuani tajusin, että Pete on itse Moon Boots. The only guy from Chicago. Niinpä tietenkin. Täytyi kuitenkin vielä kysyä kaverilta itseltään varmistuakseni ja tuli samalla mm. kiitettyä häntä hienosta musiikistaan. Kiitosten päivä ei loppunut siihen, vaan sain vielä nauttia Moon Bootsin keikasta erittäin hemaisevassa seurassa.

Keikan jälkeen hortoilin vielä pariin baariin suhteellisen huuruissa ja yritin edetä kohti 700m päässä klubilta olevaan hostelliin. Vaikka olin katsonut paikan etukäteen oli tehtävä mahdoton vallitsevissa olosuhteissa. Iso, pimeä, kylmä ja kolkko kaupunki ei muutenkaan houkutellut jäämään. Kuuden aikaan yöllä luovuin hostellin etsinnästä ja päätin lähteä rautatieasemalle.

Ensimmäinen juna takaisin Wroclawiin klo 9.40. Ostin liput.

Varsovan kadut ovat toki karut, mutta rikkaus löytyy niiden välistä. Kotona iltaa fiilistellessäni, huomasin Michałin mainostavan radio-ohjelmaa Roxy-radiokanavalla. Liketin mainosta ja fiilistelin taas lähetyksen tuttuja biisejä. Yhtäkkiä Michał mainitsee nimeni suorassa lähetyksessä. Ymmärsin Puolan kielestä, että Harri Suomesta kuuntelee tai jotain. Kaiken tämän jälkeen vielä nimikin mainitaan Puolan radiossa. Mahtavaa. Sillä hetkellä tunsin todellakin kuuluvani nu disco skeneen. Puolassa.

- Harri

No comments:

Post a Comment